Sunday, August 24, 2008

Goodbye, Olympics...Hello, Bread and Circuses (aka political conventions)...

I'm sitting here watching the closing ceremonies of the Olympic Games and, frankly, I'm glad the games are over.

Not that I don't like sports, or the Games. I do.

It's just that two weeks of nearly non-stop athletics leaves me exhausted, just from sitting and watching all that activity. Not to mention that with the Games in Beijing this year, I've been having to stay up until all hours to see coverage. Last night I was up until 2 a.m. so that I could watch the gold medal game in basketball and the awarding of the medals afterward.

That was fine, since it was Saturday night/Sunday morning and I was able to sleep in until about 9:30 this morning. But there were nights I was staying up until one to watch the swimming or the gymnastics and then having to be up and at my desk working by 7 a.m. There was some serious sleep deprivation going on around here.

At least the Winter games in two years are in Vancouver, B.C., which is in my time zone, at least.

Okay. Now that's just surreal...what in the world is Jimmy Page doing playing guitar in the closing ceremonies while some woman sings "Whole Lotta Love"?

At any rate, I'll probably be wishing the Games back in the next couple of weeks, however, as the political conventions get under way, after which the campaigning will get more serious...and probably dirtier. Those few athletes who got caught doing performance-enhancing drugs are not nearly as icky as the mud that will be thrown as the candidates get serious.

1 comment:

McMGrad89 said...

I didn't watch too much of the Olympics, just the swimming and gymnastics, though I did see the last few miles of the marathon.

Well, I will probably not watch the mudslinging. It is just too much for me.