Sunday, October 20, 2013

Music Sunday: The Tom Petty Birthday Edition


Today, according to Wikipedia anyway, is Tom Petty's birthday. So, in recognition of the day, I thought I'd share a little bit of his music - by himself, with the Heartbreakers, and in association with other musicians.

First up is "Free Fallin'" (1989). I like the song, and I also like this video, which is very San Fernando Valley - part of my own stomping grounds when I was growing up:



And this is "Runnin' Down a Dream", also from 1989, another song I like a lot. I don't think I've ever seen this video for it, though. It's intereting, and a little strange (like a lot of Petty's videos, actually):



Petty did a duet with Stevie Nicks in 1981, "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around". Here's a live version of that, with a bonus song, "I Need to Know" at the end of the clip:



Tom Petty was also a Traveling Wilbury, along with George Harrison, Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison, and Jeff Lynne. Among the songs they did was this one "Handle With Care" (1988):



Finally, here is a fairly early song from Petty and the Heartbreakers, "Refugee", from 1980:



No comments: