Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Yes, as a matter of fact, I was there...


Today on the dreaded Facebook, I was given the opportunity to post 13 random things about myself. I'm not going to rehash the whole list here - I really lead a pretty boring life, aside from random nuclear meltdowns (not me, an actual nuclear reactor), Air Force One low flyovers of my house, and having lived in (another) house that was haunted. But, one of the things I posted is that I have actually been on national television.

Because some of the folks that read that list might not believe that I actually was on national TV, though, I thought I'd drop this clip in here as proof of that item on the list. I'm not saying which person of the many in this clip, which ran on the Craig Ferguson Show on February 28, 2011, I am. The people who know me will recognize me if they pay attention (hint: I'm not in the center of the frame for the period of time I'm visible), and the rest of you don't need to know and probably don't care what I look like.



The whole gag of this clip is that Craig Ferguson is a huge Doctor Who fan, and so he sent Chris Hardwick, aka The Nerdist, to Gallifrey One, probably the longest running and most famous of the Doctor Who conventions in the United States, held every year in Los Angeles, to put together a video package to present on his show. I happened to be present where one of the bits was recorded and so, quite by accident, made it onto national television. I wouldn't even have known I had made it into the final product if my friend Tara, who lives in New Mexico and so saw the show before it aired here in the Pacific Time Zone where I live, hadn't messaged me on FB to let me know about it.

So, yes, I didn't set out to be on TV. I had been on TV before, and it isn't that big a deal. But, there I was, and it had to do with Doctor Who, and so I was happy to have been in the right place (or the wrong place) at the right time and got my silly face on the box. The thing is, I had been talking to the cameraman while Hardwick was setting the shot up, blocking it and rehearsing it. The cameraman knew where I was sitting, and I figured that if I was in the shot, he'd tell me so that I could move. In fact, I asked him to do that if it was necessary. He never said a thing, so I thought I was safe. But, apparently, not so much.

The best thing about the existence of this clip, and about it living on over on YouTube, is that I can go back and watch it once in awhile and see some of the friends I made at Gallifrey from around the country.

Oh, and that I can produce proof that I actually was on national television when people don't believe me.

1 comment:

Steph said...

EPIC!