Wednesday, November 21, 2012

An open letter to my Facebook friends...


Dear Facebook friends:

I love you all. I really do. I would not have friended you unless I like you and enjoy your company, online, in real life, or both. In fact, I've only got only a very few out of nearly 100 friends on FB whom I have not at least met in real life, and of those who I have not yet met in meatspace, at least half of you have come to me through real-life friends.

Also, I respect all of you and your right to hold and express opinions on your FB feed, even if I don't always agree with those opinions. You might not even know if I disagree with you because, in general, I don't like to argue about those things on FB. If you have posted something that has really and truly offended me, I have quietly hidden in on my feed and let it go at that. It was really difficult, in some cases, to do that during the run-up to the recent election, but I tried very hard to just let those things go. Because I do love you all.

There is one thing, however, that really bothers me about FB. And that is the posting of things - messages or photos or photos with messages - that are accompanied by the admonition that if I don't share them or re-post them, that I'm uncaring or evil or stupid or lazy.

In fact, I might agree with you and care very much about your cause or your opinion. However, I try to make it a practice not to share or like socially or politically or religiously charged messages, even if I agree with them. I have made a couple of exceptions to this in cases of messages regarding bullying. This is because I was bullied as a child and adolescent and I know how harmful it can be.

Other than that, I try not to share those "message" posts. I am probably not perfect at that, and I don't claim to be, but I am very careful even when I do share or like something not to request re-posts or shares, because I don't like being asked to do that, and I really believe in that "do unto others" thing.

In fact, I have to admit that those messages about "if you don't share, you just don't care" feel an awful lot like bullying sometimes. Even if I agree with everything else in the post.

So, please, next time you post something, even something you feel very strongly about, think very hard before you attach a message that essentially attempts to bully others into sharing your message.

Please. And thank you.

Love you (and I really do, you know),

Your Facebook friend

3 comments:

McMGrad89 said...

I feel the same way. I just "love" those images that I must share or it means I don't love Jesus. Those are my FAVORITES.

Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately, those who need to hear it, won't pay attention.

littlemissattitude said...

You are undoubtedly correct, even though it isn't like the people I was writing about don't have access to this. As I always do, I left a link to this post on my FB page.

I suppose by posting this on my blog instead of straight to FB, I'm being a little passive-aggressive, but this just seemed like the right venue.

Hope you have great Turkey day.

missattitude

Unknown said...

Catching up on my blog reading and had to say "Amen"! I do share a lot of images and quotes on my Facebook, but I never share one with that line attached. It's just rude. Thanks for reminding me. :-)