Sunday, December 23, 2012

Music Sunday: The Pre-Christmas Potluck Edition


I was watching a movie yesterday, something called "Layer Cake", a gangster movie, basically, and at one point I noticed that the song "Ordinary World", by Duran Duran, was playing in the background. It seemed very appropriate given the things the main character was going through in the film. After the film was over, I wandered over to YouTube to watch the video of the song because I hadn't heard it in a long while and I do really like the song.

What? We all have our musical guilty pleasures.

Anyway, the video is visually stunning. I also thought, as I watched the video, that some things in it looked quite familiar. I did a little research and discovered that the bulk of the video was filmed at the Huntington Gardens in San Marino, California. No wonder. I used to live maybe fifteen miles from Huntington, and for a period of time in my late teens I visited the gardens, and the library and art gallery there, fairly often. So, I thought I'd start out this Music Sunday by sharing the song, and video:



Another video that I find just as amazing, visually speaking, even though the images could not be more different than those in the video for "Ordinary World", is this video for R.E.M.'s "Everybody Hurts", another song that I like very much:



Another video that I find visually interesting, again for completely different reasons from the two above is this one, for "Take On Me", by A-Ha. Not a brilliant song, in my opinion, but I like the way the video mixes live action and animation:



Because today's post is a little bit of a potluck and all over the place, and because a little Annie Lennox is always a good thing, I thought I'd also share The Eurythmics' "Would I Lie to You?":



Finally, I'm leaving this here for you because it is nearly Christmas. I'm not a fan of Christmas music, and especially not of religious Christmas music. However, I found this while I was looking around, possibily the oddest reading of a religious Chrismas song that I've ever heard or see, this is Annie Lennox, again, with an original take on "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen":

No comments: